- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into pieces. Place in a pan of cold, salted water and cook for 15 minutes once the water begins to boil, then drain.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and fry it for a few minutes. Add the curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, chilli powder, sugar, and crushed garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the lentils, coconut milk and the potatoes. Stir gently and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season and garnish with chopped coriander just before serving.
For a flavoursome, less spicy version, replace the red curry paste, garam masala and chilli powder with an additional teaspoon of Indian curry powder.