- Wash and peel the potatoes. Leave small potatoes whole and cut larger ones into medium chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Fan, Gas 4).
- In a large saucepan add a tablespoon of the oil and fry the beef over a high heat.
- Chop the onions and carrots and slice the celery.
- Once the beef is fried remove from the pan and set aside.
- Use the fat from the beef to fry the onion, carrots, and celery until soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place all ingredients in a large ovenproof dish. Pour stock all over.
- Bake in the oven (or simmer in a large pot) for 1 hour 15 minutes then serve in bowls.
Variation: this recipe can also be slow cooked on the hob or in a slow cooker.