- Peel the potatoes and cut into pieces. Place in a pan of salted water and cook for 15 minutes once the water begins to boil, then drain.
- Meanwhile, roast the peanuts in a non-stick pan with no fat. Peel and slice the red onions. Chop the mushrooms. Heat a little sesame oil in a frying pan and fry the onions until they are slightly golden. Add the mushrooms and fry them together for 3-4 minutes with a tablespoon of soy sauce. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, fry the crushed garlic, finely sliced chilli, and finely chopped ginger for 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the coconut milk and the lime juice, allow to cook for a few minutes then season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and cut the carrot into thin strips, then add to the mixture along with the potatoes. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Add the onion and mushroom mix and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve with a few grilled peanuts, Thai basil, and finely chopped scallions / spring onions.
A vegetarian dish to which shrimps or chicken can be added for a meat-and-veg version.