POTATO AND BEEF STEAK PIE WITH SALAD
A flaky pastry crust filled with savoury meat and vegetables; the Cornish Pasty is English comfort food at its best!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas 6).
- Cut the steak into 1 cm cubes and the potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat a large pan with some olive oil, season the steak with salt and pepper. Fry the steak until brown, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the same pan with olive oil, sauté the potatoes until they start to brown.
- Dice the onion and carrot and finely chop the garlic.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic. Fry for a few minutes until the onion starts to brown.
- Add the butter, stock powder and flour. Stir through the vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the milk and bring to a simmer stirring continually.
- Add the steak, peas and parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the puff pastry in two equal pieces.
- Spread the filling over half of the 4 pieces of pastry to within one centimetre from the sides. Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling and close by folding a pattern.
- Place the pasties on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Brush the pasties with the extra milk and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with green salad.