- Wash, dry and peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Set aside on kitchen paper.
- Cut the base of the asparagus, wash it then cut into pieces keeping the tips.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a pan or high-sided frying pan, melt the butter with two tablespoons of olive oil. Gently fry the onion then add the asparagus pieces and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, stir well and fry for 2 minutes. Pour in the white wine and reduce, stirring gently.
- Pour in the vegetable stock a third at a time allowing it to absorb each time. Mid-way through, add the asparagus tips.
- Gradually pour in the vegetable stock allowing the potatoes to absorb each time. Mid-way through, add the asparagus tips.
- When the potatoes are well-cooked but still firm, add the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Just before serving, you can add some shavings of Parmesan and a few thin slices of smoked ham.